Clear all

A Saturn image (my first)

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I was able to sneak in an image of Saturn on 8/24 after I imaged Jupiter.  The image is blurry and lacking detail, though.  I didn't realize I had my eyepiece zoomed in to about 10-12 mm, and it was way too much magnification for my scope (6", 150mm). My best guess is about 320X magnification!  Yikes.  Under perfect seeing and being generous, I think I'd be limited to about 300x magnification.  Anyway, it's a good lesson for me about not going beyond the limits of: 1) my equipment, and 2) seeing conditions.  I thought I'd post it to share the experience/outcome with everyone.

Sky-Watcher 150P Classic (1200mm fL, F/8) -- Dobsonian mount
Baader Mark IV zoom (at 12mm fL) with Tele Vue PowerMate (2x)
Canon SL3 (250D) - 1920x 1080, 60 fps; roughly 1000 frames
Software: PIP, AS!3, Registax.

But, as always, the entire process was educational and a great learning experience!  I hadn't attempted this before with my Dob-mounted reflector and camera. 

Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer

Posted by: @greg-erianne

I was able to sneak in an image of Saturn on 8/24 after I imaged Jupiter.  The image is blurry and lacking detail, though.  I didn't realize I had my eyepiece zoomed in to about 10-12 mm, and it was way too much magnification for my scope (6", 150mm). My best guess is about 320X magnification!  Yikes.  Under perfect seeing and being generous, I think I'd be limited to about 300x magnification.  Anyway, it's a good lesson for me about not going beyond the limits of: 1) my equipment, and 2) seeing conditions.  I thought I'd post it to share the experience/outcome with everyone.

Sky-Watcher 150P Classic (1200mm fL, F/8) -- Dobsonian mount
Baader Mark IV zoom (at 12mm fL) with Tele Vue PowerMate (2x)
Canon SL3 (250D) - 1920x 1080, 60 fps; roughly 1000 frames
Software: PIP, AS!3, Registax.

But, as always, the entire process was educational and a great learning experience!  I hadn't attempted this before with my Dob-mounted reflector and camera. 

Hi Greg, you're going across the full gamut of astrophotograhy!   This is great!

I have a suspicion you have more there than you're seeing.   It looks like you've either over-done the wavelets or some other processing step to cause Saturn to look so bright and over processed.   

On your magnification, how did you come to 320x?    A 1200mm scope with a 12mm eyepiece gives you 100X, and a 2X powermate gives you 200X.    Unless there's something you're not sharing, that's about the magnification you have.    Assume this is eyepiece projection since you're using an eyepiece.     I don't think 200X is too much for a 6" scope.   In my 11", I had a 2X powermate and at 5600mm, although just using a small camera but it was highly magnified, although probably too much for bad seeing.  I should have shot more at 2800mm.   It's easy to do planetary, but like most things, take a bit to master.   Others like Joe Comeau has done more than many so he may be more help

I was trying my hand at this recently and gave Saturn a whirl on opposition day and the day after.    I tried a bit of Jupiter as well.   None of the days was really great seeing.    My saturn images were not very good, but I have at least one jupiter image I don't mind.

Terri

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @terri

Hi Greg, you're going across the full gamut of astrophotograhy!   This is great!

I have a suspicion you have more there than you're seeing.   It looks like you've either over-done the wavelets or some other processing step to cause Saturn to look so bright and over processed.   

On your magnification, how did you come to 320x?    A 1200mm scope with a 12mm eyepiece gives you 100X, and a 2X powermate gives you 200X.    Unless there's something you're not sharing, that's about the magnification you have.    Assume this is eyepiece projection since you're using an eyepiece.     I don't think 200X is too much for a 6" scope.   In my 11", I had a 2X powermate and at 5600mm, although just using a small camera but it was highly magnified, although probably too much for bad seeing.  I should have shot more at 2800mm.   It's easy to do planetary, but like most things, take a bit to master.   Others like Joe Comeau has done more than many so he may be more help

I was trying my hand at this recently and gave Saturn a whirl on opposition day and the day after.    I tried a bit of Jupiter as well.   None of the days was really great seeing.    My saturn images were not very good, but I have at least one jupiter image I don't mind.

Terri

Hi Terri.  Thanks for the info.  I tried to go very light on the wavelets in Registax since if I moved the sliders much at all, the image deteriorated very quickly.  I didn't process this further than Registax. 

As far as magnification, may be an error on my part.  Since I have a TV PM, my starting telescope fL was 2400, divided that by the 12mm fL of the eyepiece, and then I assumed (perhaps wrongly) that I needed to take into account the 1.6x crop factor of my APS-C DSLR.  Should the crop factor not be taken into account for total magnification and used just for framing purposes?  I'm so used to figuring it into my calculations I didn't think about not taking it into account!

Thanks, Terri!

Greg

ReplyQuote
Share:
Share on...