M81 and M82

3 Posts
2 Users
2 Likes
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer
Topic starter  

Here are M81 and M82.  I took these in April of this year...  About 3 hours of exposure in Luminance, around 30 minutes for each color using Chroma filters.   I left the background a bit bright, as I do in many photos where there's a lot going on in the background.  In this case, there is a whole lot of IFN around M81 and M82.   Plus 100's of small faint galaxies.

This topic was modified 3 years ago by Terri Zittritsch

ScottE and ScottE reacted
Paul Walker
(@pwalker)
Estimable Member Admin

Though a black or nearly black background may be more aesthetically pleasing, I too prefer having the background light enough to see the faint wisps and distinguish between background galaxies and stars. Nicely done.  I can even see detail in the detached star cloud "above" M81 or is it a companion dwarf galaxy, I forget which it is.

Paul

ReplyQuote
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer
Topic starter  
Posted by: @pwalker

Though a black or nearly black background may be more aesthetically pleasing, I too prefer having the background light enough to see the faint wisps and distinguish between background galaxies and stars. Nicely done.  I can even see detail in the detached star cloud "above" M81 or is it a companion dwarf galaxy, I forget which it is.

Paul

Thanks Paul.   I'm struggling with LRGB color on my galaxies as well.   Still working on versions of this one.    Thanks for the feedback.   The detached cloud above M81 is an irregular galaxy.

T

ReplyQuote
Share:
Share on...