Images of The Moon

Notifications
Clear all

Images of The Moon

Page 2 / 2

Jack Glade
(@jack-glade)
Active Member Registered

ScottE and TerriZ: Great photos! It's so true how the latest camera technologies make even astrophotography approachable. Isn't it nice to be able to just "snap a few"? That's why I'm giving it a try! Not sure how the Nikon P950 (or my wife's P1000) would fare on DSO or even planets, but I'll probably try that soon too. Experimenting, with sooooo much to learn.

Thanks for sharing your images!

TerriZ liked
ReplyQuote
Paul Walker
(@pwalker)
Member Admin

Moon & Mercury

Mercury is the "star" on the left side of the image.

Evening of 2021-05-13.  Moon was 2.29 days old.

They made a very pretty sight without optical aid though I also viewed them with my Kasia Trading Co. 2.3x40 wide field binoculars.  

I set up in a large field about 200 feet North of our house.  I used a Canon T7i DLSR and a 75-300mm zoom lens on a tripod.  I used a wired remote shutter release to avoid shaking the camera.  I you don't have a remote shutter release you can use the camera's delayed shutter release function to accomplish the same thing.

This image was resized to 32% from the original.  It was taken at 9:23 PM EDT, 230mm at f/5, ISO 800, 2.0 sec exposure.

ReplyQuote
TerriZ
(@terriz)
Member Moderator

Paul, great composition and capture!  Thanks for sharing.

T

ReplyQuote
ScottE
(@scotte)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

Last night's 1stQ Moon. Mare Imbrium with Vallis Alpes visible at about the 10 position.

Celestron NexStar Evolution 6 with Pixel 3.

ReplyQuote
Paul Walker
(@pwalker)
Member Admin

Pretty nice for a cell phone shot through a moderate sized telescope.

ReplyQuote
ScottE
(@scotte)
Member Moderator
Topic starter  

The Imbrium pic is downscaled to get under the upload size limit for the forums. The full scale 12MP (5.8MB) pic is nicer on blowup. It's nearly 3 times the max 2MB forum upload allowed.

I had to do some sleuthing to identify the Vallis Alpes (Alpine Valley) feature in the photo. I noticed the linear feature in the live camera view, but didn't know it by name until looking it up. 

ReplyQuote
TerriZ
(@terriz)
Member Moderator

@scotte I continue to be amazed with the cell phone shots!  Super!

T

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2
Share: