CTB 1, Abell 85 (Ga...

Notifications
Clear all

CTB 1, Abell 85 (Garlic Nebula, Medulla Nebula)

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

CTB 1 (“Garlic Nebula”, “Medulla Nebula”) was initially identified by George Abell as planetary nebula, Abell 85, but was later identified as a supernova remnant (G116.9+0.1) in 1972.  The CTB designation is from the Caltech Observatory list B catalogue. The designation Abell 85 is still used today.

CTB 1 is in the constellation Cassiopeia (Cas) and is approximately 10,000 light-years from Earth, about 100 light-years in diameter, and is estimated to have formed about 10,000 years ago.  It is nearby several other emission nebulae: Sh2-170 (the dot in the Cosmic Question Mark), Sh2-168, and Sh2-173 to name a few.

It has an interesting circular structure with many filamentary structures as well as a rupture in its shell (on the upper right of the photo), a slim and faint OIII signal on part of its shell and lots of surrounding nebulosity.

Capture Dates: 9/30, 10/2, 10/3, and 10/4

Average Moon Illumination ~ 84%

Askar 107PHQ (fL = 749mm)
ASI2600MM Pro (Monochrome camera)
Antlia LRGB-V & SHO (SII, Ha & OIII) 2” mounted 3nm Narrowband Pro Imaging Filters
ZWO AM5 mount with guiding via SV106 and ASI178MM

Narrowband S-H-O Light Frames [Total Exposure 19:00]
-- Ha; 300 sec x 67 = 5:35
-- OIII; 300 sec x 94 = 7:50
-- SII; 300 sec x 67 = 5:35

RGB Frames for Stars [ Total Exposure 0:30]

R, G, B – 10 x 60 sec each

All light frames calibrated with dark, flat, and bias frames
Pre- and post-processed in PixInsight
Additional post-processing in Photoshop for exposure adjustments and generation of reduced size jpeg

Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer

Great image Greg, I’ll have to add it to my list.  Looks like an interesting area too. 

terri

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

@terri Thanks, Terri.  This one could definitely use more time.  Nineteen hours really doesn't do it justice in terms of capturing all the detail.

Greg

ReplyQuote
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer

Maybe, but it still looks great!    We’ve landed in Texas  and slept in Sonora last night.   The ranch is 20 miles away.  We’ll be heading over in a bit to stake a claim on the observing field.   I hope we get some clear nighttime weather. 

terri

ReplyQuote
(@peter-gillette)
Eminent Member

Great work, Greg, and a remarkable target. Terrific detail, I can't imagine what more you could hope to get with more time, but I look forward to seeing what you get!

-PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP-

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Fantastic, Terri!!  Wish you lots of clear skies while you're there.  Bring some nice pics back for us 'seventeen-percenters' stuck here in VT.  😆 

Have fun!

Greg

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

@peter-gillette Thanks so much, Peter!  I love these 'off the beaten path' targets but it's a bit harder to know how much detail I should see since there isn't a great body of work on them.  From all the previous work on this relative new-comer for Earth (10,000 years old @ 10,000 ly away), it needs about 30 hours or so to do it justice. 

The problem with me is I get blinded by the new shiny targets and never wind up getting back to the ones that I'd like to add more time on!  I feel like a kid in a candy store sometimes. 

Greg

ReplyQuote
Maura Kelley
(@maura-kelley)
Eminent Member

@greg-erianne

Hi Greg!

This is such a terrific image! You've been posting some unusual objects that I haven't seen before which is so refreshing!

Hope you don't mind I posted your Propeller and this on our VAS Facebook among amazing others you've done ~ 👍👍 

Maura

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

@maura-kelley Thanks so much, Maura!  Sure, absolutely put whatever you think is appropriate on the VAS Facebook page.  Thanks for doing that and for maintaining that page!

Greg

ReplyQuote
Share:
Share on...