The Iris Nebula NGC7023 from Eldorado Tx

2 Posts
2 Users
1 Likes
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer
Topic starter  

I struggled with finding a target I wanted to image at the Eldorado Star party, finally settling on finishing the Iris (I started in Vermont) and then picking LDN1355/58 (helping hands) and then Barnard's galaxy.    The latter 2 I did not get anywhere near the amount of time as I need to make good images, but I'll post them anyway until I get to improve them.     The first image, the Iris, is the result of less than 4 hours of OSC imaging.   I rarely do OSC but due to the weather and travel plans in ELdorado, we only ended up with 2 nights of imaging so it was my best attempt at getting a full image in that short time.    

I shot this with a TEC140 scope reduced to 714mm with an Astro-Physics Quad Telecompressor and Reducer into an ASI2600MC one shot color camera.    I used an Astro-Physics 1100GTO mount with encoders unguided and 4 minute exposures.      The object is fairly bright so I have enough data to be presentable, I think.

NGC7023 also denotes an open cluster co-located with the nebulosity known as the Iris.    The Iris nebula itself is a reflection nebula which is illuminated by a central hot young 7th magnitude star HD200775.   The nebulas 18 arc minute size corresponds to 6 light years across and it is 1300 light years distant from our solar system.  The open star cluster also associated with NGC7023 is also called Collinder 427.

Updated the file to darken the background.
This topic was modified 6 months ago 4 times by Terri Zittritsch

(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member

@terri Very nice image, Terri!  Looks great even with the limited time and the dust around the Iris looks terrific.

Greg

ReplyQuote
Share:
Share on...