Comet ZTF 2022/E3

24 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer
Topic starter  

Well, I was finally able to get a few images the other night (or morning) after a very late/early break in the clouds.  From 2:30 to 4:30am I was able to capture 50 images of 1 minute spread across L R G and B in a couple of different runs.  This is from one of them.  I will try combining all the data later so I double my data.

I've been reacquainting myself with the comet processing steps, which is a job in and of itself (for me).   My data had a very bright background due to the moon with a comet trails that were barely over the background, but I did get something.    I still need to apply my luminance data (this is only RGB).

I do get a blue, albeit faint, ion trail which I thought pretty cool.   I just could use some more data.    

I shot this with the Astro-Physics Stowaway scope with .8 focal reducer and ASI6200 mono camera and Chroma R, G, B filters with 60 second exposures.  I tried both tracking on the comet using JPL ephemeris data but star tracking is more obvious than comet tracking and harder to clean, so I ended up tracking on stars and letting the comet head trail a little.   At this scale it's hard to see.

Terri

This topic was modified 1 year ago by Terri Zittritsch

Maura Kelley
(@maura-kelley)
Eminent Member

@terri, WOW - phenomenal!!

I had set up in the evening but because I wasn’t sure of my view walked my equipment across the yard through ‘deep’ snow. Right after it was good-to-go, it became cloudy, even though weather indicated clear. Waited and waited. I got cold and finally gave up. Then just after 2am I see the clear low Moon shining in. I did think about going back out.. My gumption level had faded out. I’m getting lazy in this cold 😣

ReplyQuote
Maura Kelley
(@maura-kelley)
Eminent Member

@terri, I forgot to ask, is this image just one sub of 60 seconds?

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member

Beautiful image, Terri! I also got some images after 2:30 am (the clouds broke around 2:15) but I haven't processed them yet.  Tried with DSS but that looked terrible, so now I'm learning how to process all of it in PI.  Don't think it will be nearly as pretty as your image, if it comes out at all.

Super job with this!  Really nice.

Greg

ReplyQuote
(@peter-gillette)
Eminent Member

Fine shot, Terri! All from your driveway? I gave it a look a couple of nights ago, but the moonlit clouds were too much for the camera. I did see it, but it was so washed out  that I was not impressed,, and by the time I started up the camera, the clouds had eaten it up. Yum!

ReplyQuote
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer
Topic starter  

Thanks Everyone.   To answer questions, this is from 50 1 minute frames, about 12 minutes per color taken with a mono camera through filters.     The individual frames looked ‘terrible’.   I could not see any tails, just a bright blob in the middle of what was a huge bright blob of a frame due to the moonlight and I assume still some atmospheric haze being brightened by the moon.   So the tails came out only with processing.    They’re actually much more detailed in my comet-only image data than you see here and it’s the process of darkening the background where I’m loosing the details… i need to work on this and should be able to show more.

Terri

ReplyQuote
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer
Topic starter  

Posted by: @greg-erianne

Beautiful image, Terri! I also got some images after 2:30 am (the clouds broke around 2:15) but I haven't processed them yet.  Tried with DSS but that looked terrible, so now I'm learning how to process all of it in PI.  Don't think it will be nearly as pretty as your image, if it comes out at all.

Super job with this!  Really nice.

Greg

This is one of those cases where I wish I was set up  to use a one shot color camera.   The whole comet processing with LRGB filters isn’t for the feint of heart!!    First it took me a day to reacquaint myself with the process and part of a day to shoot all of my calibration frames.    Good luck with your processing Greg, I’ll be looking forward to it.

I have another 40 shot series with a bit shorter exposures (lum of 30s) and RB of 45s and Red still 90s.     If I had more time this might have been better as the sky was just brutally bright with 1 min exposures.     I sure wish that moon wasn’t out!    In any case I should be able to combine it all in pixinsight given the time.   Right now it’s T-5d before I leave this place for warmer weather.  

Terri

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member

Well, if it makes you feel any better, Terri, I used a OSC camera (ASI2600MC Pro with no filters), and I still have a colorless blob in my individual subs.  Simpler, but I don't think the result is going to be as nice as yours above. Take some well-deserved credit for figuring all this out and coming away with a very nice image!!

It's going to take me quite a bit of time (until the next comet?!) before I figure out how to do everything in PixInsight. 😀 

Greg

ReplyQuote
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer
Topic starter  

Posted by: @greg-erianne

Well, if it makes you feel any better, Terri, I used a OSC camera (ASI2600MC Pro with no filters), and I still have a colorless blob in my individual subs.  Simpler, but I don't think the result is going to be as nice as yours above. Take some well-deserved credit for figuring all this out and coming away with a very nice image!!

It's going to take me quite a bit of time (until the next comet?!) before I figure out how to do everything in PixInsight. 😀 

Greg

Thanks Greg, it is a loooong process.   And I don’t even have luminance in the data yet.  So this image is only around 36min total data.  I also did this entirely in pixinsight except for creating the jpeg.    Usually I can eke out a bit more in photoshop as i know that tool better.   On top of this I created some complexity for myself by imaging luminance at 1x and binned my colors..   I was up sampling, down sampling for various processes to get the logic right.  In the end i was able to have a comet only image and a star only image and blended the two together.     Again the biggest issue is dealing with the very bright background.    My images were between 1200 ADU and 2300 ADU background while the comet was just ‘barely’ over that.    The histogram for the linear data looked like an impulse function, very thin and tall and no breadth.   Hoping for some clear skies in the Keys to capture some good data.   I started imaging Thor’s helmet and captured all of 30 min of data a couple of weeks ago.    I hope to finish it in the Keys where it should be a lot higher up!

Terri

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member

Enjoy the Keys, Terri!!  Hoping you have some great skies and capture some terrific images.  We'll be looking forward to your 'trip' report.  😀 

Greg

ReplyQuote
ScottE
(@scotte)

That's a great image! I made a couple of trips out on Wednesday to look with binoculars, but clouds were the most dominant feature in the sky. Couldn't even pick out Ursa Major to get my bearings.

ReplyQuote
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer
Topic starter  

Posted by: @scotte

That's a great image! I made a couple of trips out on Wednesday to look with binoculars, but clouds were the most dominant feature in the sky. Couldn't even pick out Ursa Major to get my bearings.

Thanks Scott, it was a late night but I was determined to see if it cleared up and not miss the opportunity.    It only opened up for me at 2:30am.

Terri

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member

Here's my first attempt at using PixInsight to process my C/2022 E3 (ZTF) data from 2/1/23 from about 2:30 until 3:30 am.  I was able to capture 39 images before my equipment started to freeze up. 😮

This was my second attempt since the first attempt earlier in the evening of 1/31 was clouded out.  This second attempt turned out better since the clouds broke around 2:15 am, but I had the same problem as Terri in that the moon was nearly full.  I was also aiming north toward the South Burlington light dome so the actual signal was much less than I would have liked.

AT60ED (360 mm fL) 
ASI2600MC Pro (OSC camera)
ZWO AM5 harmonic mount with guiding (tracking stars) via ASIAir Plus using an ASI120mm mini and a 30mm F4 guide scope
No filters used
75s x 39 [Total Exposure about 0:49 ]; with dark, flat, and flat dark frames 
Processed in PixInsight; images combined in Photoshop (since I couldn't figure out how to use Pixel Math to combine them in PixInsight!)

ReplyQuote
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer
Topic starter  

Greg, excellent shot!!!    You nailed it for sure.

Terri

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member

Thanks, Terri!  My stars were a little more 'puffy' than I wanted so I tried to reduce them in PI a bit more, but the result wasn't good.

Glad all the effort (for both of us!) wasn't for naught.  I'm glad I have at least something to show for all the teeth-chattering. 🤣 

Greg

This post was modified 1 year ago 2 times by Greg Erianne

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Share on...