Clear all

Northern Lightshow

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Gerry Davis
(@gerry-d)
Topic starter  

On Friday evening (5/10/24) I had checked the sky about 9:30 PM from my house south of Taft Corners and saw no Northern Lights.  I fell asleep about 11:15 checking e-mail on my desktop computer, awoke suddenly about 12:40, and saw an E-mail from a woman in the Vermont Astronomical Society noting great views of the aurora and a picture of the aurora.  Since I was now awake and still dressed I grabbed my camera and hurried down to the playing fields behind the Williston Central School.  Despite the bright flood lights, the view to the north was clear and the aurora was spectacular.  It was amazing to see the stars peeking through the aurora.  The show changed every few minutes, with colors shifting and columns of light moving across the sky.  The dominant color was green, but with nice areas of magenta and highlights in blue … Wow!  Here are some of my photographs, all taken between about 1:00 and 1:45 AM 5/11/24.  The clouds rolled in and the Lights seemed to shut down about 1:40, so I waited 10 minutes and left.  All were taken with my Nikon Zf mirrorless full-frame camera and a 24-70mm lens at 24mm, f4, ISO 1600-2500, and 20-30 sec exposure.

Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer

Hi Gerry, a beautiful image (and images as i've seen your other images).     To add more images to your post, all you have to do is edit (button on bottom right of post box) and browse to a new image, save.  Then rinse and repeat.   In other words, edit, select a new image, save, etc etc.  It's cumbersome for sure.   I'll ask if there is some setting which allows us to add multiple images in a single post.

Terri

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Honorable Member

@gerry-d Love this image, Gerry! Great capture.

Greg

ReplyQuote
Gerry Davis
(@gerry-d)
Topic starter  

@terri Thank you - Gerry

ReplyQuote
Gerry Davis
(@gerry-d)
Topic starter  

@greg-erianne Thanks so much - I hope to post some more of the same event

- Gerry