Clear all

Sh2-234 (IC 417, Spider Nebula)

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@greg-erianne)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Sh2-234 is about 100 light-years (ly) wide, located in the constellation Auriga, and is about 10,000 ly from Earth.  The Spider Nebula contains the young, open star cluster called Stock 8, a region of very active star formation.  The thin dust pillar toward the center of the image is about 1.5 ly long.

Capture Date: 2/24/2024

Equipment

Celestron EdgeHD 800 w/0.7x reducer (fL 1442mm; f/7) with Celestron OAG and ASI174mm mini guide camera

ASIAir Plus, ASI2600MC, ZWO AM5 mount, ZWO 2” 5-position filter wheel

Filters:

Antlia 5nm Narrowband H-alpha/OIII 2": 48×300″ (4:00)
Antlia 5nm Narrowband SII/Hb 2": 6×300″ (0:30)

Total Integration: 4:30

Processed with PixInsight; Adobe Photoshop used to generate the JPEG.

Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer

Greg, a beautiful image of this target.   I swear I’ve imaged this before but not sure.  It might be one of my many unfinished images.

I like the colors and details and all of the nooks and crannies of cool things going on in there!   Bravo.

Terri

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

@terri I'm hoping to come back to this one to get it's prey: the Fly.  😀 It's so strange you said you thought you imaged this before, because I thought I did this one before but couldn't find any images.  Go figure...

Greg

ReplyQuote
Maura Kelley
(@maura-kelley)
Eminent Member

@greg-erianne Greg - you are so amazing. You come up with these unusual targets that really inspire the rest of us (me) to go and find it! Thank you so much! Your work is outstanding ~

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

@maura-kelley Thank you so much, Maura!  That's very kind of you. 😀 

Greg

ReplyQuote
Share:
Share on...