TadpolesIC410, and open cluster NGC1893

16 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer
Topic starter  

Here are the tadpoles in mostly Ha.  I've captured a good bit, several hours, of Ha data but my OIII data is mostly lousy due to moonlight and haze, no SII or RGB is included as the data I have is just too poor and would degrade the image.  Hope to get a clear night before it goes away to finish the job.  But here it is, in an HOO palette and I'm pleased quite with the Ha.   Although this doesn't look the same as it does in pixinsight or even photoshop in TIF format.    This is the first time I've noticed that creating a JPG really makes the stars stand out more due to the pixelation.     I've muted the stars a bit in the bigger image, but even without the transformation, the stars in either XISF or TIF are much less prominent.   I did small de-emphasis to try to lessen the effect, but the stars still stand out much more than in the uncompressed formats.   Wondering if something has changed in photoshop causing this.    Going to try some experiments on-line to see if I can figure this out.

To image IC410 I used a TEC140 with AP field flattener, ASI6200MM camera with Chroma 3nm Ha and OIII filters on an unguided Astro-Physics 1100GTO mount.   Ha and OIII images were 15 minutes each. 

About IC410:   An area of faint nebulosity approximately 12,000 ly away and 100 light years across. IC410 and it's associated star cluster NGC1893 is a great astrophotography target for the winter months.  The gas clouds have been sculpted by the stellar winds caused by radiation from the NGC1893 star cluster.   The 'tadpoles' are created when some of the denser gas in the central area of the nebula is driven away by the radiation from the star cluster and creates the streamers, or tadpole tails.    The tadpole tails are 10ly long so these tadpoles will make some incredibly large frogs!   This nebulous area is fairly young at an estimated 4M years old.

Terri

This topic was modified 3 months ago 2 times by Terri Zittritsch

(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member

@terri Wow, I really like this, Terri!  Honestly love the colors in it -- makes it looks very mysterious.  And the detail is fantastic.  Maybe we'll talk offline about stars, but I think they look fine and don't detract at all from the beautiful nebula.  Super!

Greg

ReplyQuote
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer
Topic starter  

Posted by: @greg-erianne

@terri Wow, I really like this, Terri!  Honestly love the colors in it -- makes it looks very mysterious.  And the detail is fantastic.  Maybe we'll talk offline about stars, but I think they look fine and don't detract at all from the beautiful nebula.  Super!

Greg

Greg, as always you're too kind, thank you.     Hope I can find some more time this year, or there's always next year.     With the stars, to me it's the difference in how stars are presenting themselves in the compressed vs non-compressed.   This is the first time I've noticed them becoming much more prominent in a compressed file.  If I hadn't done some level of 'adjustment' in the uncompressed format they would have been much more prominent.  It's just something I hadn't noticed before.  

Terri

ReplyQuote
Maura Kelley
(@maura-kelley)
Eminent Member

@terri I've never seen them displayed so distinctly/clearly before! WOW ❤️  

ReplyQuote
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer
Topic starter  

Posted by: @maura-kelley

thanks Maura. 

t

ReplyQuote
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer
Topic starter  

Posted by: @maura-kelley

thanks Maura. 

t

ReplyQuote
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer
Topic starter  

Well, finally getting around to processing some new data.  At the WSP I added SII, and some better OIII as well as RGB stars to my tadpoles to hopefully enrich my image a bit.   It's different for sure, not sure how much better.

This post was modified 2 months ago 4 times by Terri Zittritsch

ReplyQuote
(@michele-bayliss)

@terri wow -that is super cool - I love the composition, details and colors

ReplyQuote
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer
Topic starter  

Posted by: @michele-bayliss

@terri wow -that is super cool - I love the composition, details and colors

Thanks Michele.   The added data helps make it a bit more interesting.    Does it look super dark to you?   I have a calibrated monitor, but on my macbook it's dark.  I may have to brighten it up.

Terri

ReplyQuote
(@michele-bayliss)

@terri I lean towards inky dark but yes, it's pretty dark on my monitor (which is calibrated for Adobe SRGB )

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member

@terri Very nice image with the added data, Terri!   My monitor is really awful, but personally I think if you just brought down the brightness of the OIII in the center surrounding the tadpoles just a tad you'd have a more saturated color in there and increase the contrast around the tadpoles (the detail of which is exquisite!!).  I don't think the surrounding nebulosity is too dark since the image draws your focus right to the center, where it should be.  

So glad you were able to get more data on this beautiful target.  Nice job.

Greg

ReplyQuote
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer
Topic starter  

@greg-erianne 

Oh my gosh... i brightened it up way too much!!!   I should have just left it because I think my macbook is doing some brightness adjusting for ambient light..  It is way too bright now.  I need to go back and fix it.. wow.   Thanks for noticing.

Terri

ReplyQuote
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer
Topic starter  

Ok, I replaced it with the original.  It looks correct on my windows calibrated monitor..  wow, that was wild.

How does the brightness look?

Terri

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member

@terri It looks SO much better, Terri!  Such fantastic detail in there.  Just amazing.

Greg

ReplyQuote
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer
Topic starter  

Yet another version to try to get the brightness dialed in.    I have a very dark background in this one.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2
Share:
Share on...