Clear all

SNR G206.9+2.3 (in Monoceros)

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

This extremely faint supernova remnant (SNR), currently without a name or designation other than its galactic coordinates, is about 7,000 light-years (ly) from Earth, with a diameter of approximately 120 ly. In the image, north is up. 

As seen in this image, the SNR emits a very strong OIII signal with only a few strands of interlaced Ha/SII with some heavier Ha/SII emitting nebulosity at the southern tip. 

The SNR is located just to the west of the elbow in the Monoceros Loop Nebula (SNR), the edge of which can be seen on the right (east) side of the image.  The Monoceros Loop contains the Rosette Nebula (to the east) as well as the Cone Nebula (to the north).

I added a second image with a very small orientation inset from Stellarium in the upper right hand corner.  "Marker 1" is the location of SNR G206.9+2.3.  The Rosette Nebula can be seen to the right (east), and the Cone/Christmas Tree nebulae can be seen at the top (north).

The stars in the image have been reduced in number/intensity to better show the outline and extendt of SNR206.9+2.3.

Dates:

Capture Dates: Feb. 3 - 6, 2024

Frames:

Antlia 3nm Narrowband H-alpha 2": 35×300″ (2h 55′)
Antlia 3nm Narrowband Oxygen III 2": 94×300″ (7h 50′)
Antlia 3nm Narrowband Sulfur II 2": 44×300″ (3h 40′)
Antlia V-Pro Blue 2": 20×60″(20′)
Antlia V-Pro Green 2": 20×60″(20′)
Antlia V-Pro Red 2": 24×60″(24′)

Integration: 15h 29′

Avg. Moon age:24.14 days; Avg. Moon phase:30.05%

Equipment

Askar 107PHQ with 0.7x Reducer
ZWO ASI2600MM Pro and ZWO 7-position filter wheel
ZWO AM5 Mount
Guide Cam: SVBony SV106 60mm Guide Scope w/ ZWO ASI178MM 

Processed with PixInsight and Adobe Photoshop

Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer

Greg this is such a  cool image.  Wonderful colors and detail.   Can’t wait to see it on a screen bigger than my phone when I get home!

terri

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

@terri Thanks, Terri!!  Hope you had a good time.  It was fun to see this after imaging it across several nights.

Talk to you when you return.

Greg

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  
I don't know, I kind of like the name "Blue Scarab" for this SNR, since it resembles a scarab beetle.  And, in fact, it looks like it's just eaten a little red bug!  happy-1

Anyone else have a suggestion to give this poor SNR a name?

How do you suggest an 'official' name for something, and to whom do you suggest it?

Greg

ReplyQuote
Share:
Share on...