Clear all

Whale (NGC 4631, C32) and Hockey Stick or Crowbar (NGC 4656) Galaxies

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

The Whale Galaxy (NGC 4631) is a large, edge-on, spiral galaxy about 25 million light-years away in the constellation Canes Venatici. Its peculiar shape explains the nickname. This is really a beautiful galaxy, with lots of colors and star forming regions like the starburst seen at its center.  It has a halo of hot, glowing gas that can be seen in X-ray images.  

The other galaxy just above the Whale Galaxy in the photo is a small elliptical galaxy (NGC 4627) with several nicknames, including the Hockey Stick, the Crowbar, the Hook, and the Hummingbird.  If you look closely, you can see a faint star stream, presumed to be the remains of small companion galaxies left over from encounters with the Whale Galaxy long ago.

Capture Date: 4/7/23

Askar 107PHQ
ASI2600MC Pro (OSC camera)
ZWO AM5 mount with guiding via ASIAir Plus using an ASI178mm mini and a 60mm F4 guide scope
Light Frames [Total Exposure 2:05] - Antlia Triband Ultra RGB filter -- 300s x 25 frames

All light frames calibrated with dark, flat, and bias frames
Pre- and post-processed in PixInsight
Additional post-processing in Photoshop for exposure adjustments and generation of jpeg

Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer

Greg, another great capture with good detail and colors.   I like this duo and almost everyone images them as a pair!   Super. 

terri

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

@terri Thanks, Terri!  I guess there are really a couple of more galaxies in there I should have at least given honorable mention: NGC 4657 (really part of the Hockey Stick visually, anyway), and NGC 4627, a companion to the Whale.  I shouldn't short-change anything as amazing as a galaxy! 😉

ReplyQuote
Share:
Share on...