Clear all

Widefield Image of The Veil Nebula

7 Posts
4 Users
2 Likes
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

This is a widefield image of the entire Veil Nebula (the Cygnus Loop) including: The Eastern Veil (NGC 6995) at left, The Southeastern Knot at lower left, Pickering's Triangle at top right, and the Western Veil (NGC 6960; Witch's Broom; Filamentary Nebula) at middle right.  There are numerous other structures present as well. 

I wanted to try out a new 0.8x reducer/flattener, but I see a few oval stars at the corners, especially.  I'm not sure if this was due to the reducer/flattener or if it was the wind, which was whipping around pretty good last night (10/22/22) (Guiding error was a little higher than usual as well; between 1-2").  I'll have to try it out again on a calm night.

Unfortunately, I inadvertently had 2x2 binning selected in my exposure options so the image appears a little softer than it might otherwise. I can still make out some detail, though, so not a total loss.  And yet another lesson learned: check binning before imaging!  

AT60ED w/ 0.8x reducer/flattener (288mm fL) 
ASI2600MC Pro (OSC camera) -- 2x2 binning (not intentional!)
SkyGuider Pro with guiding via ASIAir Plus using an ASI120mm mini and a 30mm F4 guide scope
Antlia ALP-T Ha/OIII dual narrowband filter
180s x 79 [Total Exposure 3:57]; with dark, flat, and dark-flat frames 
Pre-processed in PixInsight and post-processed in Photoshop

Greg

(@peter-gillette)
Eminent Member

Now that is an awesome shot! Field of view, processing, detail. Checks all the boxes for me!

Binning, schminning!

-P-

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @peter-gillette

Now that is an awesome shot! Field of view, processing, detail. Checks all the boxes for me!

Binning, schminning!

-P-

You're funny, Peter! 😀 Yeah, I guess if everything went just the way I wanted it to and I didn't forget to check something -- it wouldn't be astrophotography! Where's the fun in that?

Seriously, thanks very much for the kind words!

Greg

ReplyQuote
(@mark-moyer)

Wow -- that is stunning!

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @mark-moyer

Wow -- that is stunning!

Thank you, Mark!

Greg

ReplyQuote
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer

Posted by: @greg-erianne

This is a widefield image of the entire Veil Nebula (the Cygnus Loop) including: The Eastern Veil (NGC 6995) at left, The Southeastern Knot at lower left, Pickering's Triangle at top right, and the Western Veil (NGC 6960; Witch's Broom; Filamentary Nebula) at middle right.  There are numerous other structures present as well. 

I wanted to try out a new 0.8x reducer/flattener, but I see a few oval stars at the corners, especially.  I'm not sure if this was due to the reducer/flattener or if it was the wind, which was whipping around pretty good last night (10/22/22) (Guiding error was a little higher than usual as well; between 1-2").  I'll have to try it out again on a calm night.

Unfortunately, I inadvertently had 2x2 binning selected in my exposure options so the image appears a little softer than it might otherwise. I can still make out some detail, though, so not a total loss.  And yet another lesson learned: check binning before imaging!  

SkyGuider Pro with guiding via ASIAir Plus using an ASI120mm mini and a 30mm F4 guide scope

Greg

Greg, fabulous shot!   I don't know how I missed it.. not intention.   Love the colors and the scale.

Terri

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @terri
Posted by: @greg-erianne

Greg

Greg, fabulous shot!   I don't know how I missed it.. not intention.   Love the colors and the scale.

Terri

Thanks, Terri!!  It was nice to test out the 0.8x flattener/reducer.  I noticed some oval stars in the upper corners.   I haven't had a chance to test/rotate the flattener to see if something's up with it, but otherwise it's great.

Greg  

ReplyQuote
Share:
Share on...