Notifications
Clear all

Jupiter Images

Paul Walker
(@pwalker)
Member Admin
Topic starter  

Jupiter this Fall (2021)

The night I took video to create these image was one of a handful I experienced this Summer with very good seeing (for Vermont).

I would say these are among the best images of Jupiter that I have produced, though I don’t plan to check. The fine scale seeing was steady enough that I could make out the disks of Jupiter’s Galilean moons visually. The large scale seeing, which causes the whole planet to jump around was much better than usual as well and helped minimize blurring.
The video clips used were all about 1 minute long (~3600 frames). 

I lucked out with all the activity going on with Jupiter and it's moons starting with visibility of the Great Red Spot. Later the ingress of Europa on the disk about 10:45 PM, the ingress of Europa’s shadow at 12:14 AM and finally Io joining up with Ganymede for a family portrait.

The Red Spot and Europa (right edge of disk) 2021-09-19, 10:50 PM EDT, 10” f/5.6 Newt., 2x Barlow, 24mm eyepiece, Canon HF21 camcorder at 15x optical zoom. Stack of 1350 video frames.

The Red Spot and Europa’s shadow (right edge of disk). Europa at this time was left of center but not visible against the clouds of Jupiter. The disks of Io and Ganymede are discernable on the right. 2021-09-20, 12:37 AM EDT, 10” f/5.6 Newt., 2x Barlow, 24mm eyepiece, Canon HF21 camcorder at 15x optical zoom. Stack of 600 video frames.

This topic was modified 2 months ago 4 times by Paul Walker

TerriZ liked
TerriZ
(@terriz)
Member Moderator

Nice images Paul.  I took a couple as well.  I'll have to post them.

ReplyQuote
TerriZ
(@terriz)
Member Moderator

A contribution to this discussion from a couple of weeks ago. Not very good as I shoot over my house and the air is very turbulent.

ReplyQuote
Share: