Cocoon nebula, IC5146

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer
Topic starter  

I imaged the Cocoon nebula over a couple of clear nights in September.    The Cocoon nebula and dark nebula area around it is represented by numerous catalog designations IC 5146, Sh2-125, Bdn 96-6, Barnard 168 and Caldwell 19.   It's another object in the constellation of Cygnus.    IC5146 is described as an emission nebula being involved in a cluster of 9.5 magnitude stars also known as Collinder 470.   The star cluster is visible near the naked eye star Pi Cygni.  The cocoon is a stellar nursery and as with many such areas has both an emission nebula (red) component and reflection nebula (blue) component and in the case of the Cocoon, has dark nebula stringing through it.   The Cocoon is approximately 2500 ly from our solar system.   The Cocoon emission/reflection nebula has a diameter of 12' which represents 15 ly.

I shot this unguided with a TEC140 scope at 1000mm of focal length at F7 on an astro physics 1100 GTO mount.    I used Chroma LRGB filters.    Besides 4 hours of luminance, I have 1.5 hours each of R G and B images.   I also have 3 hours of Ha to add to this image but have not processed it in yet. 

Terri

This topic was modified 7 months ago by Terri Zittritsch

(@peter-gillette)
Eminent Member

What a great image, Terri! I really like the FOV and the trailing Dark Neb. assoc. w/ it.

ReplyQuote
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer
Topic starter  

Posted by: @peter-gillette

What a great image, Terri! I really like the FOV and the trailing Dark Neb. assoc. w/ it.

Thank you Peter, great to see you on the forum.

The building portion of my observatory is completed.   I've vented under the observatory (even more than the holes we discussed) and made all of the changes you suggested except struts between the building and the rails.    Just waiting for my pier now.

Terri

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member

Beautiful image, Terri!  Love the wide-field and star colors.  Nice job.

Congrats on finishing the observatory!!  That's a big accomplishment and should make things much easier for you once you get your pier.  I wish you many nights of clear skies to use it!

Greg

ReplyQuote
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer
Topic starter  

Posted by: @greg-erianne

Beautiful image, Terri!  Love the wide-field and star colors.  Nice job.

Congrats on finishing the observatory!!  That's a big accomplishment and should make things much easier for you once you get your pier.  I wish you many nights of clear skies to use it!

Greg

Thanks Greg, good to have an image once in a while during this wet and cloudy summer!

Terri

ReplyQuote
Share:
Share on...