Clear all

Sh2-142 (Wizard Nebula) and NGC 7380

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

The Wizard Nebula, Sh2-142, is an elongated HII/OIII emission nebula in the constellation of Cepheus, about 7,200 light-years (ly) from Earth, and approximately 110 ly across.   NGC 7380, an associated open cluster of young stars (5 million years old), was discovered in 1787 by Caroline Herschel.   At the center of the star cluster is DH Cephei (DH Cep), a rotating variable double star, that is believed to be the force driving the expansion of the gas and dust in the nebula, as well as triggering new star formation.

The image is rendered in a Hubble-like palette, which I think brings out some of the features that are not seen in the usual H-alpha renderings.  The basic Hubble palette colors were generated using PixInsight's Generalized Hyberbolic Stretch on the individual color channels.

Capture date: 9/25/23 (Moon ~ 84% illuminated)

Celestron EdgeHD 8 with 0.7x Reducer (fL = 1422mm)
ASI2600MM Pro (Monochrome camera)
ZWO AM5 mount with guiding via OAG and ASI174MM Mini
Light Frames [Total Exposure 4:40]
-- Ha; 300 sec x 18 = 1:30
-- OIII; 300 sec x 17 = 1:25
-- SII; 300 sec x 21 = 1:45
All light frames calibrated with dark, flat, and bias frames
Pre- and post-processed in PixInsight
Additional post-processing in Photoshop for exposure adjustments and generation of reduced size jpeg

Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer

Another great image Greg.    This is a toughie when it comes to processing, IMHO, and you've done well.   I've seen different color schemes applied but I like this one the best.

Terri

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

@terri Thank you, Terri! I would have liked it even more if I didn't botch the framing a bit. 🙄 I'm still getting used to the longer fL of the EdgeHD and have to realize there's not much room for 'slop' when I'm framing targets.  I got spoiled by not having to be as careful with the wider-field of the 107PHQ.

Greg

ReplyQuote
Share:
Share on...