M97 (Owl Cluster) a...

Notifications
Clear all

M97 (Owl Cluster) and M108 (Surfboard Galaxy)

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Captured on 4/13/23

[Lower right in photo] M97, the Owl Nebula (NGC 3587), is a starburst planetary nebula about 2,030 light-years from Earth in the constellation Ursa Major.  Its age is estimated to be about 8,000 years and is believed to have formed from the outflow of material from the stellar wind of a central star.  The nebula itself is arranged in three concentric shells/envelopes.   The name of the nebula comes from its somewhat owl-like appearance which results from the barrel-like inner shell that is not symmetrical but forms a barrel-like structure.

[Upper left in photo] M108, the Surfboard Galaxy (NGC 3556), is a barred spiral galaxy about 28 million light-years away from Earth in the constellation Ursa Major. This galaxy is a barred spiral galaxy with loosely wound arms and has an estimated mass equivalent to about 125 billion of our suns and contains about 300 globular clusters of stars. 

Askar 107PHQ
ASI2600MC Pro (OSC camera)
ZWO AM5 mount with guiding via ASIAir Plus using an ASI178mm mini and a 60mm F4 guide scope
Light Frames [Total Exposure 3:30] - Antlia Triband Ultra RGB filter -- 600s x 21 frames

All light frames calibrated with dark, flat, and bias frames
Pre- and post-processed in PixInsight
Additional post-processing in Photoshop for exposure adjustments and generation of jpeg

Paul Walker
(@pwalker)
Estimable Member Admin

Nice image.  Glad to see you and Terri are getting some deep sky imaging in.  I've been focusing my attention on the Moon and Sun.  And look at all those galaxies in the background!

Paul

This post was modified 10 months ago by Paul Walker

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

@pwalker Thanks, Paul!  I've been imaging these past months but have been very lazy about processing.  I'm trying to catch up!

I have to say, those images of the moon were just amazing.  The detail was  just incredible!

Greg

ReplyQuote
Share:
Share on...