Clear all

Sh2-178 and Polaris Flare

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Sh2-178 is associated with the giant filamentous molecular gas cloud known as the Polaris Flare in the Milky Way.  This can be seen in the region of the Ursa Minor and around Polaris.  

This is a 90-minute integration but was better than I expected, especially since this gas and dust is difficult to tease out during image processing.  

Askar 107PHQ with Askar 0.7x Reducer
ASI2600MC Pro (OSC camera)
ZWO AM5 mount with guiding via ASIAir Plus using an ASI178mm mini and a 60mm F4 guide scope
No filter
120s x 45 [Total Exposure 1:30]; calibrated with dark, flat, and bias frames
Pre- and post-processed in PixInsight
Additional post-processing in Photoshop for completion of star-halo removal, color balance, and generation of final jpeg

Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer

Posted by: @greg-erianne

Sh2-178 is associated with the giant filamentous molecular gas cloud known as the Polaris Flare in the Milky Way.  This can be seen in the region of the Ursa Minor and around Polaris.  

This is a 90-minute integration but was better than I expected, especially since this gas and dust is difficult to tease out during image processing.  

Askar 107PHQ with Askar 0.7x Reducer
ASI2600MC Pro (OSC camera)
ZWO AM5 mount with guiding via ASIAir Plus using an ASI178mm mini and a 60mm F4 guide scope
No filter
120s x 45 [Total Exposure 1:30]; calibrated with dark, flat, and bias frames
Pre- and post-processed in PixInsight
Additional post-processing in Photoshop for completion of star-halo removal, color balance, and generation of final jpeg

Greg, what a beautiful capture and processing, it's ethereal..   I've not really done anything like this myself..   the quality is very good.  i'm going to have to look it up!!    Thank you so much for sharing!

Terri

ReplyQuote
(@peter-gillette)
Eminent Member

Most impressive, Greg! I didn't even know I was looking through all that fluff up there! The thought of pointing my fork-mount into that region makes me cringe, having let someone else do just that and caused my electronics to crash-and-burn!

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Terri and Peter!  I always say this, but I am simply amazed by the things our cameras show us that are invisible, or mostly invisible, to our eyes.  One of the reasons I'm fascinated by astrophotography!

Greg

ReplyQuote
Share:
Share on...