Flying Dragon Nebul...

Notifications
Clear all

Flying Dragon Nebula (Sh2-114, NGC 7054, LBN 347)

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

The Flying Dragon nebula (Sh2-114) is a very faint nebula located in the constellation Cygnus.  It is very filamentous, not well-studied, and has a few nearby structures such as Sh2-113 (cloud below the Dragon's right wingtip assuming it's flying toward us).  However, the descriptions that I could find of surrounding structures and some of the galaxies around were very, well, nebulous!  So, I won't try to identify anything else other than the obvious Sh2-114 Nebula.  Apparently, its distance from us isn't even published (yet).

Since this is such a dim target, this was a challenge I set for myself with my new mount with Goto capability (yahoooeeee!) and automated meridian flips! Nirvana.  Amazingly, the second set of images were captured with a 79% illuminated moon, which was out all night.  Gotta love those narrowband filters! 😍  

I might be able to capture some more detail with more integration time, but I'm not sure if the diminishing returns are worth the time taken away from other more interesting and colorful targets.  I looked at Sara Wager's site and she had over 42 HOURS of integration time on this target!  Yikes. Don't know if I want to spend that much time on one target. 🤣 

Anyway, I thought the image was decent and was happy I was able to see anything!

AT60ED (360 mm fL) 
ASI2600MC Pro (OSC camera)
ZWO AM5 harmonic mount with guiding via ASIAir Plus using an ASI120mm mini and a 30mm F4 guide scope
Antlia ALP-T Ha/OIII dual narrowband filter
300s x 80 [Total Exposure about 6:40 over two nights]; with dark, flat, and flat dark frames 
Pre-processed in PixInsight and post-processed in Photoshop

Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer

Posted by: @greg-erianne

The Flying Dragon nebula (Sh2-114) is a very faint nebula located in the constellation Cygnus.  It is very filamentous, not well-studied, and has a few nearby structures such as Sh2-113 (cloud below the Dragon's right wingtip assuming it's flying toward us).  However, the descriptions that I could find of surrounding structures and some of the galaxies around were very, well, nebulous!  So, I won't try to identify anything else other than the obvious Sh2-114 Nebula.  Apparently, its distance from us isn't even published (yet).

Since this is such a dim target, this was a challenge I set for myself with my new mount with Goto capability (yahoooeeee!) and automated meridian flips! Nirvana.  Amazingly, the second set of images were captured with a 79% illuminated moon, which was out all night.  Gotta love those narrowband filters! 😍  

I might be able to capture some more detail with more integration time, but I'm not sure if the diminishing returns are worth the time taken away from other more interesting and colorful targets.  I looked at Sara Wager's site and she had over 42 HOURS of integration time on this target!  Yikes. Don't know if I want to spend that much time on one target. 🤣 

Anyway, I thought the image was decent and was happy I was able to see anything!

AT60ED (360 mm fL) 
ASI2600MC Pro (OSC camera)
ZWO AM5 harmonic mount with guiding via ASIAir Plus using an ASI120mm mini and a 30mm F4 guide scope
Antlia ALP-T Ha/OIII dual narrowband filter
300s x 80 [Total Exposure about 6:40 over two nights]; with dark, flat, and flat dark frames 
Pre-processed in PixInsight and post-processed in Photoshop

Excellent image Greg!     Wonderful details.   Seems like that mount is working well for you!  Another object for my future list.

Terri

ReplyQuote
(@greg-erianne)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  
Posted by: @terri

Excellent image Greg!     Wonderful details.   Seems like that mount is working well for you!  Another object for my future list.

Terri

Thanks, Terri!  Yes, I'm really loving the new mount. 

Greg

ReplyQuote
Share:
Share on...