Solar Eclipse - 2024-04-08 - At HOS

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
Paul Walker
(@pwalker)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Here's a nice sampling of my eclipse images.  Better than what I got for the 2017 eclipse.  And good considering that, though I has set my 75-300mm zoom lens to 300mm, it had other plans and zoomed itself out to 205mm.

I have images of partial phases going into and coming out the eclipse but have not included any of those here.  Most of this these are in sequence of time .  The first several (with file names beginning with "MVI") were created from short video clips taken out of a 34 second video that started about 7 seconds before totality.   Below these are 2 images made from stacks of several still shots, the last is blend of those 2 images.

Then there are 2 wide angle shots of the eclipsed Sun, one taken by my wife with her cell phone from my observatory deck behind our house in Middlebury, VT and one from the Vermont Astronomical Society's Observatories/Observing site (I'm the person in the lower right corner of the image).  Last are 2 images I took of the VAS site.

When using the Canon Rebel T7i in video mode, it's 3x "digital" zoom it is actually cropping the image by ~33% and using the center of the sensor.  Because the the images from the still shots shown here are cropped 33%, the resolution of the images created from the video and the still shots are the same.

The Diamond Ring, 3 seconds before totality (2nd contact).
A stack of 10 frames from video.
Camera info: exposure time not determined, f/6.7, ISO 100,  video mode, 3x "digital" zoom.

Approximately 1 second later, 2 seconds before 2nd contact.  Note:  The "4.11 to 5.16" denotes the seconds plus frame # (seconds.frame#).  There are 29 frames per 1 second of video. The 34 frames used for this image start at 4 seconds and 11th frame and ends at 5 seconds and 16th frame.  As the camera was recording the video I was changing the exposure time every 1 to 2 seconds so I would have a large range of exposures to work with.
Camera info: exposure time not determined, f/6.7, ISO 100,  video mode, 3x "digital" zoom.

Another 1/2 second elapsed here with a shorter exposure time.

Approx.1/3 second elapsed here with a shorter exposure time.  The moment of totality during this clip (at video time stamp 6.24), or right after.

About 3 seconds after 2nd contact.  The the chromoshere is showing and is a bit overexposed.
Camera info: exposure time not deter, f/6.7, ISO 100,  video mode, 3x "digital" zoom.

Here we leap ahead another 19 seconds and increase the exposure. Several prominences (which some people call flares but are not "solar flares") are visible.  "Above" (to the right of the the lower prominence on the right edge are faint horizontal  (veritical in the image) extensions of that prominence.  This is more visible in the next image. The large, bright prominence near the bottom is the one everyone noticed, especially at the end of totality when more of it was visible.
The exposure time doesn't get recorded in the video.  I know at what exposure I started at but I haven't taken the time to figure out the exposure time for each segment of the video.
Camera info: exposure time not determined but is about 1/1000 sec, f/6.7, ISO 100,  video mode, 3x "digital" zoom.

4 more seconds and a longer exposure.  Coronal streamers are visible here
Camera info: exposure time not determined yet, f/6.7, ISO 100,  video mode, 3x "digital" zoom.

2.5 seconds later and a still longer exposure.  The top of a prominence is starting to become visible on the right edge.
Camera info: exposure time not determined yet, f/6.7, ISO 100,  video mode, 3x "digital" zoom.
This topic was modified 2 weeks ago 10 times by Paul Walker

Paul Walker
(@pwalker)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Here I switched from recording video to taking still shots.
This is a stack of 23 shots take at 3:28:02 PM, 9 seconds after mid-totality.
I darkened the disk of the Moon in this image to improve the aesthetics.
Camera settings:  205mm @ f/6.7, 1/30sec, ISO 100.

Paul-Walker-Stack_3713-35_iL1Si0w11110d0.11040_hipass4x-paint-crv-crop33-cb.jpg

This is a stack of 4 shots taken at ‏‎3:29:06 PM, 9 seconds before 3rd contact (end of totality).
Camera settings:  205mm @ f/6.7, 1/350sec, ISO 100.

A blended image make using the previous 2 images
Camera settings:  205mm @ f/6.7, 1/30sec and 1/350sec, ISO 100.

Wide angle shot taken by my wife, Jan, with her cell phone from my observatory deck behind our house in Middlebury, VT.
The eclipsed Sun and Venus were modified to better represent their visual appearance.

Taken from the Vermont Astronomical Society's Observatory/Observing site (I'm the person in the lower right corner of the image). Camera was operated using an intervolometer, set to take images every 15 seconds.  Canon Rebel XTi, auto setting with EV control set to -1 stop.  Exposure time 1/6sec @ ISO 200, f/3.5
The eclipsed Sun and Venus were modified to better represent their visual appearance.

Total Solar Eclipse 04-08-2024, Hinesburg Site, Looking West

Total Solar Eclipse 04-08-2024, Hinesburg Site, Looking East
This post was modified 2 weeks ago 9 times by Paul Walker

ReplyQuote
Terri Zittritsch
(@terri)
Member - Treasurer

Great images. 

Terri

ReplyQuote
Paul Walker
(@pwalker)
Estimable Member Admin
Topic starter  

Thanks.  They are the same ones I sent out to the vtastronmy@list.

ReplyQuote
Share:
Share on...